Monday, July 30, 2012

Initial Thoughts on the Five Ways

Sorry, this is going to be a journal-style post more for me than anyone else, jotting down my first impressions, and not really explaining anything.  See the original post for more details.

It was quite interesting reading the first five chapters of Shinzen's The Five Ways.  A little repetitive, but not necessarily in a bad way, as the technique was similar across several of the Ways.

I was surprised to find that, to some extent, I had already been practicing several of the Ways in my own quest for better knowing myself.  I just didn't have such a consistent or formal manner.  I get a sense that this will help drive my self-exploration to another level, for sure.

Shinzen is obviously a spiritual person, and ties in this meditation with a form of Christianity, especially in the Way of Flow.  That doesn't bother me at all.  From what I can tell by the "brochure" on meditation in general, there are some experiences to be expected that are well outside normal perception.  There's not really good vocabulary already built up and recognizable to describe what is experienced.  So, spiritual?  Sure, why not.  It is perhaps fitting a metaphor for that which taps into the primal essence of ourselves.

2 comments:

  1. I always have suspicions of the additional elements that come with any meditation style or teacher -- I could tell several stories. But I think it is still possible to learn from someone who may differ from you on important elements. As I said earlier, each experiment is more like a field trip -- I am not moving there.

    Later we can discuss the idealism, romanticism, monism and much more that can be found in many Western Buddhisms. Meanwhile, simple practices are simple practices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting.

    I'm looking forward to it, Sabio.

    ReplyDelete